Twinkletoes - Disassociation Letter
This was the second letter given to elders that turned out to be a "resignation" letter. This was, as you will see, because THEY chose not to answer ANY of our questions. The reason we are posting our letter, is because it is now obvious (by personal experiences) that ones who we thought were our friends are now choosing to shun us.
Knowing full well that this would be our final letter, we tried to cover everything and thus it is 7 pages long. We would like to express our thanks for the many on this forum who enabled us to compile the information. We hope that you will read it and likewise use the information for your own purposes.
7 March 2003
xxx Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses
To - Elders, Ministerial Servants and Friends
This letter is dealing with our concerns over the following -
- WBTS involvement with the United Nations
- Paedophilia and the handling of these matters within the Organisation
- False and failed Prophecies
It has now been six months since we sent letters expressing our concerns over the above matters. One letter was sent to The Society, and one letter each to S. M. & P. E. ( S. M. was confident that we would get an answer from The Society.)
None has been forthcoming in all of this period.
A few weeks later, during a meeting with the above elders at our home, all of the original and authentic documents relating to these matters were examined by them. P E requested copies of these documents to take away with him, in order to look into matters. Copies were given to P & S.
Previous to the above meeting, T M & R D were aware of our concerns. T's response was "I know Brother Gilles" (Watchtower's spokesman on these matters). I then asked him to look into the matter with Brother Gilles. R D refused to comment over the matter of the UN involvement. It has taken nearly a whole year to compile this authentic material, which can be corroborated from our files and various other sources including the United Nations Organisation itself.
The Watchtower's involvement with the United Nations
The Watchtower Society has been associated with the United Nations as an NGO (non-governmental organisation) for almost ten years (1992-2001). This membership appears to have been unknown to the majority of Witnesses, whatever their status in the congregations. The criteria for NGOs to become associated with DPI (Department of Public Information) have not changed since 1991, these include the following: (See UN letter dated 9.7.2002 - doc. A/1)
- That the NGO share the ideals of the UN Charter.
- Operate solely on a not-for-profit basis
- Have a demonstrated interest in UN issues & a proven ability to reach large or specialised audiences, such as educators, media-representatives, policy makers & the business community.
- Have the commitment & means to conduct effective information programmes about UN activities by publishing newsletters, bulletins and pamphlets, organising conferences, seminars and round tables, and enlisting the co-operation of the media.
Acceptance of the UN's criteria was, and still is, essential for being a member.
This association with the UN has not been disputed by the Watchtower Organisation. The reason they gave for becoming an NGO was to obtain a library card. This is a pitiful answer. There is no excuse whatsoever to be part of this worldly organisation.
It is interesting to note that the November 22nd 1998 Awake magazine devoted twelve pages to the promotion of the United Nations, even though this organisation has been depicted over many decades as the "scarlet coloured beast" in direct opposition to God's will.
Watchtower Sept 15th 1981 pg. 23 says "A person might renounce his place in the Christian congregation by his actions, such as becoming part of an organisation whose objective is contrary to the Bible, and hence is under judgement by Jehovah God. (Compare Rev 19:17-21; Isaiah 2:4) So if one who was a Christian chose to join those who are disapproved of God, it would be fitting for the congregation to acknowledge by a brief announcement that he had disassociated himself and is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses."
Jehovah is a God of integrity, not of expediency or of politics. The Watchtower have condemned and disfellowshipped themselves by their own words.
John 17:16 and James 4:4 and many, many others can be cited to prove that the Organisation has not adhered to bible principles.
The Elders' book "Pay attention to yourselves and to all the flock" (Ruling for Justice Itself) states persons who deliberately spread, stubbornly hold to and speak about teachings contrary to Bible truth as taught by Jehovah's Witnesses, are apostates. The WBTS in their effort to meet the criteria as NGO are guilty by their own ruling. No doubt, over the years, elders have disfellowshipped individuals for the above reasons. Does then the Organisation come under a different set of rules? (2 Tim 2:5). How can any elders, with principles, sit on judicial committees and decide the fate of others, when faced with this damning evidence. They may get comfort from being part of a group. But as they are part of the structure of the Organisation wherein many lives have been destroyed and lost, they must accept some portion of responsibility. When the final judgement day comes, they will have to give an account WHY they as INDIVIDUALS persisted in their positions, destroying the lives of many people all under the guise of 2a"we were directed by the Organisation" - where have we heard that before!
Paedophilia and the handling of these matters within the Organisation
We expressed in our previous letter, our abhorrence at the way the Organisation handles this most serious of situations (i.e. having to obtain two witnesses to corroborate the allegations). This crime is never committed in front of any witnesses and the elders do not have the experience nor expertise needed to arrive at the correct decision. The police have expressed on many occasions, that these cases must be immediately handed over to the proper authorities for investigation and not referred back to the Organisation.
Mishandling of incidents of such a sensitive nature can destroy the young victim's whole life by an incorrect judgement. Adding to this problem is the Organisation's view on not taking your brother to court. Much of our concern was detailed in our letter dated 20th Aug 2002.
In a conversation with R D regarding Paedophilia, I mentioned the elder from Rugby (shown on the TV News), who was given a prison sentence and spoken of by the Judge as an "arch-hypocrite". R D made a statement a few months ago saying "you take notice of elders whether they are right or they are wrong". My comment to this foolish statement was "how many judicial committees did that elder sit on, determining the fate and future of others, whilst carrying on this disgusting way of life?" Yet again - no reply.
We are also troubled to find out that due to the confidentiality afforded to the accused, our children could unwittingly be socialising with such ones.
This is a problem that definitely exists within the Organisation, contrary to the beliefs of some brothers and sisters, and has been confirmed by the Organisation's own words.
False and failed Prophecies
607 BCE re: the fall of Jerusalem and the beginning of the Gentile Times.
Nowhere in secular history or in any documented evidence, can this date of 607 BCE be found. In fact there are numerous cuneiform tablets that show the date of 586/587 BCE to be more likely the correct year. 607BCE is a vital year for the Organisation, as this prophecy has to finish in 1914 CE. A crucial year for the Organisation as seen from the comments below.
Note: One of the authors of this material was deeply troubled by his findings when compiling this information for the "Aid" book, but was pressurised into going along with the Society's wishes.
The Watchtower addressed the issue in it's publication "Let your Kingdom Come" page 187:
Referring to 586/587 BCE "Even if the discovered evidence is accurate, it might be misinterpreted by modern scholars or be incomplete so that yet undiscovered material could drastically alter the chronology of the period".
A chronology that has to be based on "yet undiscovered material" is resting on a very weak foundation indeed and can be used to answer any statement that the Organisation rejects.
As we all know, 1914 was an extremely important and pivotal year for the organisation. This prophecy was, and is, still clung to though flying in the face of overwhelming documented evidence to the contrary. To establish the truth regarding 607 BCE, material other than the Society's own, should be used to verify this, after all, they The Organisation had to use other material themselves.
If 607 BCE is incorrect, which it is, that makes 1914 incorrect, which in turn makes 1919 incorrect. Therefore the date of the master returning and choosing the true religion is now in doubt and with it, the question still remains "who really is the faithful and discreet slave?"
Other WBTS prophecies that have NOT come true.
Here are just a few
- Watchtower Oct 1890 page 1243: "The scriptural declaration that the millennium of peace and blessing would be introduced by forty years of trouble, beginning slightly in 1874 and increasing until social chaos should prevail in 1914."
- Watchtower Jan 1892 page 1355: "The date of the close of the battle is definitely marked in scripture as October, 1914. It is already in progress, it's beginning dating from October 1874."
- Studies in the scriptures, volume 2 - The time is at hand, early edition from page 101 "The battle of the great day of God Almighty (Rev. 16:14) which will end in AD 1914, with the complete overthrow of earth's present rulership "
- Studies in the scriptures, volume 3 - Thy Kingdom Come, from page 153 " . With the end of AD 1914, what God calls Babylon, and what men call Christendom will have already passed away, as already shown from prophecy."
- 1925 - "Millions now living will never die" page 89 "Therefore we may confidently expect that 1925 will mark the return of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and the faithful prophets of old, particularly those named by the apostle in Hebrews 11, to the conditions of human perfection", (even building a house in San Diego California for their return)
- 1975 - another marked year - Watchtower Aug 1968 pages 494-501 "Why Are You Looking Forward to 1975?" "One thing is absolutely certain, Bible chronology reinforced with fulfilled Bible prophecy shows that six thousand years of man's existence will soon be up, yes, within this generation! (Matt. 24:34) This is, therefore, no time to be indifferent and complacent. This is not the time to be toying with the words of Jesus that "concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father." (Matt. 24:36) To the contrary, it is a time when one should be keenly aware that the end of this system of things is rapidly coming to its violent end. Make no mistake, it is sufficient that the Father himself knows both the "day and hour"".
- Whatever happened to the "King of the North and the King of the South", much time was devoted to the studying of this material, only again to find out that we do not know the answers to the prophecy.
- Discourse given by F W Franz (President of the Watchtower) "Was there a 1st Century Governing Body" This was recorded on an audiocassette, where he stated that there were just a few months to go before Armageddon.
- Our Kingdom Ministry March 1968 page 4 "Making some special effort to do more than the usual helps us live up to our dedication. In view of the short period of time left, we want to do this as often as circumstances permit. Just think, brothers, there are only about ninety months left before 6,000 years of man's existence on earth is completed... Do you remember what we learned at the assemblies last summer? The majority of people living today will probably be alive when Armageddon breaks out, and there are no resurrection hopes for those who are destroyed then. So, now more than ever, it is vital not to ignore that spirit of wanting to do more." Matthew 24:34 "Truly I say to you, that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur."
- Watchtower May 1968 pages 271-3 "Making Wise Use of the Remaining Time" "Some of the generation that discerned the beginning of the time of the end in 1914 will still be alive on earth to witness the end of this present wicked system of things at the battle of Armageddon." Rev. 16:14, 16.
We would like to point out here, that there are many, many more failed prophecies that we could cite or quote from our own research to question the validity of the statements from the Organisation. If need be we are willing to provide much more evidence to substantiate these statements.
Within the Governing Body there exists a "two-thirds" voting system on any new or amended policies. Could this be the reason why so many prophecies have failed? Brothers and Sisters have been led to believe that Jehovah himself directs the Governing Body (i.e. The Faithful and Discreet Slave). Surely if Jehovah is directing the Organisation there would be no need for a "two-thirds" vote. When it comes to brothers and sisters having to accept this new thinking they are expected to accept it not 66% but 100%, otherwise again disciplinary action can be taken against them.
Now let's see what the WBTS has said about false prophets
Prophecy 1929 page 22 "If these prophecies have not been fulfilled, and if all possibility of fulfilment is passed, then these prophets are proven false"
Paradise Restored to Mankind - by Theocracy (1972 page 353-354) "Jehovah will put all false prophets to shame either by not fulfilling the false prediction of such self-assuming prophets or by having his own prophecies fulfilled in a way opposite to that predicted by false prophets."
Now let's see what Jehovah has said about false prophets
Deuteronomy 18:21-22 "and in case you should say in your heart, "how shall we know the word that Jehovah has NOT spoken" when the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that Jehovah did not speak ."
Jeremiah 14:13-14. Jeremiah 28:1-4. 15-17. Hananiah prophesied falsely by just two years, but he was recognised by Jeremiah as a false prophet, and was judged by God.
1 John 4:1 "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God, because many false prophets have gone forth into the world"
We have been taught over the years that blood is something very sacred and that accepting blood transfusions would be a violation of God's principles and therefore a disfellowshipping act. The latest thinking now appears to be as outlined in the following quote, even though there is no scriptural enlightenment on the subject. Is it therefore a change of policy due to the litigation that seems to be on the Organisation's doorstep? Can you show us from the bible where there is a distinction in whole blood (sacred) and fractions of blood (not sacred?). See documents listed - a/2
Watchtower June 1990 "Questions from Readers" "The Bible directs Christians to 'abstain from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from fornication.' (Acts 15:29) Beyond that, when it comes to fractions of any of the primary components, each Christian, after careful and prayerful meditation, must conscientiously decide for himself."
If brothers and sisters can now take blood components, where do they think the components come from? Don't they realise that someone has had to donate the blood in the first instance. Even if they accept one tiny blood fraction, someone has had to donate a pint of blood in order for them to have this fraction. These fractions are derived from large pools of donor blood. Question - which part of blood is sacred? Where in the bible is there an option to make your own decision whether blood parts are sacred or not sacred?
Thirty three years ago, when I (Pauline) was first studying with the Witnesses, I had to make a stand against Blood transfusions for my son S--- this was indeed a traumatic time, as I nearly lost him, but the decision was taken away from me by his father, my previous husband, who gave the authority to the doctors at the hospital. Repercussions due to my stand at that time are still with me after 33 years. When our son J--- was born, twenty years ago, because of the same antibodies in my bloodstream, we had the same problem. Yet again this was another very traumatic time as he was at the point of being made a Ward of Court. Fortunately alternative treatment helped in his case, and eventually he pulled through. R D was the Presiding Overseer at the time and offered no help or comfort whatsoever. "A crag in the desert?" Isaiah 32:2. A number of years ago, K also made a stand against blood transfusions when he had a major operation, even to the point of arguing his case with the surgeon whilst being placed on the operating table. This is the amount of trust that we, over the years, had placed in the Organisation.
Another thing that very deeply upset us as a family was to find out that thousands of Malawi brothers and sisters, who abided by the Organisation's rules and did not obtain a "party card" were tortured, raped and murdered, whilst at the same time in Mexico, the brothers who were called up for conscription into the armed forces, were allowed to bribe the officials in order to falsify their training records, this had "a nod and a wink" from the Organisation. (At the very least this is double standards )
Let it be noted that our baptism was prior to 1985,
Baptism vows up to 1985 were as follows:
- "Have you repented of your sins and turned around, recognising yourself before Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his son Jesus Christ?"
- "On the basis of this faith in God and his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening Holy Spirit?"
These questions, or vows, were changed in 1985 (in our opinion, very conveniently) to the following:
- "On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?"
- "Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, in association with God's spirit-directed Organisation? Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in the right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism."
Therefore our allegiance was to Jesus Christ, Jehovah and The Holy Spirit and NOT to any Organisation and that thinking is still uppermost in our minds. We would also like to point out that we do not want the word "Disassociation" to be used as our means of leaving, as there is no scriptural backing or foundation for the use of this word anywhere in the bible. This as we all know, triggers a sequence of events such as Shunning etc. This is contrary to the way that Jehovah would expect us to act towards others. P and S when asked to show us the word "disassociation" from the Bible went into a deep silence.
If you feel that an announcement must be made from the platform, we give you our permission to tell the congregation that we could not agree with the following:
- UN involvement,
- Mistreatment of Paedophilia cases,
- False and failed prophecies
- U-turn on Blood.
In finality, we would like to express very strongly that we believe that Jesus is the Son of God and therefore the Christ. Jehovah is Almighty God, and that the Bible is the inspired Word of God
As Christians we have done nothing wrong that would warrant any form of discipline or correction from the Elders/Organisation. The reason that we have brought this to your attention is to make sure that our Christian integrity (which is directed by Jehovah not by man) is not besmirched or spoken of in a derogatory way. At the beginning of this letter, we said that we had waited six months for an answer to our previous letter (Ecc 8:11). We would like you to answer all of the points outlined in this document, bearing in mind that the majority of statements and quotes are taken from the Organisation's own literature. As we have patiently waited for this length of time, we feel we must request your reply with scriptural backing (i.e. the Bible) within 14 days from the date of this letter.
We feel that we must heed the clear warning laid out in Rev 18:4 " get out of her my people if you do not want to share with her in her sins, and if you do not want to receive part of her plagues .."
If you fail to respond to this letter within the given time, we feel we have no alternative but to request that you remove our names from all records held by Jehovah's Witnesses Organisation.
K & P --------
PS. If this letter upsets anyone or if they are told "it is apostate material" let us once again remind you that the majority of this letter contains the Society's OWN MATERIAL and has been taken from various publications over the years.